Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Summer Reading

I finished my first summer reading book yesterday. I figured after a semester of molanist teaching in Theology 2 it would be good to read something a little more in line with what I believe the Bible teaches. Not only that, but I had heard of this book before and always wanted to read it. So, I decided to include Redemption: Accomplished and Applied by John Murray to my list of summer reading. It was a very good book, divided into 2 sections: 1. Redemption accomplished, 2. Redemption Applied. I flew through the first section and was greatly encouraged by it. The second section was also uplifting, though not quite as much of a page turner for me. One quote really sums up the content of the book:

"Christ discharged the debt of sin. He bore our sins and purged them. He did not make a token payment which God accepts in place of the whole. Our debts are not canceled; they are liquidated. Christ procured redemption and therefore he secured it. He met in himself and swallowed up the full toll of divine condemnation and judgment against sin. He wrought righteousness which is the proper ground of complete justification and the title to everlasting life. Grace thus reigns through righteousness unto eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. He expiated guilt and "by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified." "Being made perfect he became the author (the cause) of eternal salvation to all them that obey him." In a word, Jesus met all the exigencies arising from our sin and he procured all the benefits that lead to, and are consummated in, the liberty of the glory of the children of God."

Having finished this first book I've moved on to my next installment of summer reading. I have always wanted to read the Puritans, but have never really gotten around to it, but what better time than now? I began reading Jeremiah Burroughs' The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment today. It is a very down to earth, practical guide to how believers can learn to be content in all things (Phil 4:11). I trust that I will benefit greatly from digesting the truths contained within its pages.

No comments: